I don’t think that most people would describe HRT or gender transition as a fun experience. It is a second puberty with all of the awkwardness and stress that it entails. But it is not a wholly negative experience (contrary to what some of my other writing may indicate). Transition and HRT are filled with plenty of moments of joy. Here are a six from my experience:
- Getting excited when you wake up with chest pain.
- Doing a double take when I don’t completely recognize my reflection.
- Having to adjust my driver seat because I could no longer reach the gas pedal.
- A good cry when you need it (I can’t emphasize enough how nice being able to cry is).
- Being told by friends and coworkers that I look “younger”.
- Bumping into corners and furniture because I am not used to my body’s changes.